A new series of Adult Sunday School / Adult Christian Education studies will start on Sunday, March 4th, 2018. Any and all who are interested are welcome to come between Sunday Services at 9:45 – 10:45 am in the Chapel. Details of the March study can be found below:
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL OUTLINE – MARCH 2018
“Understanding Atonement – A Study of Five Theories”
Week 1: Overview and Initial Foundation for Study
- What does the life of Jesus mean?
- Why did Jesus die?
- Did Jesus have to die?
- Who is affected by the death of Jesus?
Concepts: Critical Lens, Systematic Theology, Soteriology, Justification, Atonement
Week 2: Ransom Theory and Satisfaction Theory
Ransom Theory – Early Church Fathers, esp. Origen (200 to 400 CE)
- Problem: Generational captivity to Satan himself. A redemption must take place.
- Solution: God buys back (redeems) humankind from Satan through the sacrifice of Jesus.
- Bible Verses: Mark 10:35-45, 1 Tim. 2:5-6
Satisfaction Theory – Anselm of Canterbury, “Cur Deus Homo” (1094 BCE)
- Problem: Human behavior is sinful. A punishment must occur.
- Solution: Jesus accepts punishment for all of humankind.
- Bible Verses: Colossians 2:14; John 8:34; Matthew 6:12; Isaiah 53:7; John 10:19
Week 3: Penal Substitution and Christus Victor
Penal Substitution – Reformed Period (Starting with Calvin) (1550s to 1800s)
- Problem: God cannot overlook sin. A penalty must be paid to God.
- Solution: Jesus pays a penalty (not a ransom!) for all of humankind.
- Bible Verses: Isaiah 53, 1 Peter 3
Christus Victor – Gustaf Aulen (Early 1900s)
- Problem: Humankind is being held captive by the force of sin.
- Solution: Christ’s death defeats the force of sin, balancing the cosmic order.
- Bible Verses: Hebrews 2:1-18; Luke 11;21-22; 2 Cor 4:4
Week 4: Moral Influence Theory of Atonement
Moral Influence Theory – St. Augustine (300s) and Peter Abelard (1100s)
- Problem: Humankind has lost touch with the core of compassion for the world.
- Solution: Live as Jesus did and this will reconcile us to God’s image.
- Bible Verses: Philippians 3:8-21; John 15:1-17
Closing Discussion and Observations from Participants
We hope to see you in Adult Sunday School!